Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What is wrong with people?

I have a hard time understanding the huge battle that surrounds the abortion debate.  I understand why it is a hot topic, I don't understand why people think it is ok to kill someone in his church because they disagree with his career choice.  This weekend a controversial abortion Dr. was gunned down in opposition of abortion, I still can't understand these severe emotions.

  Abortion, no matter what your position, brings out a very distinct opinion for each of us.  
I am a Christian.  I have a relationship with GOD and am very grateful for the grace that he has extended to me.  Having said this, I am also reminded that he has given us free will.  An ability to choose the path we take.  This doesn't mean that we will always pick the right path, but we will always have open arms to come back to when we realize we didn't.  I could never choose to have an abortion.  I had an unplanned pregnancy, and that thought never even occurred to me, because that is who I am.  I have a great support system, my parents would support me no matter what.  I am one of the lucky ones.  Many women/girls find themselves in unplanned pregnancies and have no one.  Not even someone to remind them of all of their options.  While adoption is a viable option to abortion, it isn't feasible for everyone.  There are families out there that will physically abuse their children for their mistakes.  When you are a girl who is already abused, and find yourself with an unplanned pregnancy, carrying a baby to term for adoption isn't always an option.  There are a lot of reasons that women have abortions, many of them reasons that we can't even begin to understand unless we have already walked a mile in their shoes. I can't image the emotional pain they go through.  Most women dream of having a family, it kills them to make a decision like this. 

I also understand the importance of that little life that is at the center of all of this fuss.  I can't imagine my life without any of my kids, I love being a mom.  I love my kids enough that I will support them unconditionally, I will always be there for them.  Just like my Heavenly Father will always be there to support the children of his that have made bad choices.  He is the one who we have to face for the CHOICES we make as a result of the free will we have been given.  If Jesus were here today, don't you think that instead of shooting someone at their place of worship, he would be forming a relationship with them so they could have a support system that promotes the best choices?  

4 comments:

Megan said...

Very well said. I too, cannot understand how violent acts such as this are justified in these people's minds. It's just so very sad.

The one girl said...

I actually had a friend rant on her facebook yesterday about how Christians are terrorists (referring to Tiller's murder). It makes my heart ache that somehow all Christians have been lumped in (by some) with the man who did this. Apparently there is an extremely vocal pro-life woman in KCK who called the murderer a hero and said it was a shame Tiller hadn't been shot sooner... I did NOT read that she is a Christian, but that is what my friend and all her anti-Christian friends were writing. Anyway... I am a Christian. I believe Jesus would never condone what happened to Tiller. Those who think it was heroic are just as extreme and outrageous as those who think late term abortions are a great idea.

Cori said...

Well said, Jo. You put my feelings into words exactly.

Anonymous said...

thank you! Well put