Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Jake and the Soldier

If you have ever met my son, you know that he knows no stranger. I had several errands to run today, one of which took us to the Sprint Store. Jake had already voiced his opinion that "dis is not fair" when we walked in. He didn't want to stand in line with me, he wanted to sit in the chairs at the front of the store. Well, you and I know that 3 year olds don't sit. I apprehensively let him go sit. After standing in line for a while, with Jake in my line of sight, I heard him talking to someone. I looked over to see Jake talking the ear off of this young Soldier, dressed in his Desert camo. He couldn't have been more than 21 or so.  Jake was telling him all about his toys: his Cars, Buzz Lightyear, and Woody. The young man was engaging Jake in conversation. At one point Jake came over to me and said "thanks for killin the spiders in my room."  I looked over, and the young Soldier told me, "he said you killed the spiders for him, so I told him he should tell you thanks". I had to laugh, Jake would tell his life story to anyone who will listen. I finally got to the counter to pay our monthly Sprint bill, when I hear Jake using his "I'm right, you are wrong voice". I turn and see Jake pointing to the American Flag on the man's uniform and saying "No, dat flag is backwards". Oh, my I am embarrassed.  I have no idea where he learned that.  My dad was in the military, so I assume that he learned it from dad.  If you know my dad, you would understand that he likes to argue with Jake just for fun.  It wouldn't surprise me to hear Jake saying this same thing to dad, and dad just saying "no, it isn't". I hoped this man wouldn't take offense. Instead, he tells Jake (and me) that the flag is backwards, because as Soldiers, they are always moving forward and if they were carrying the flag it would be blowing backwards. Also, it represents that they will never retreat.  At this point I am done and turn to get Jake, when he is telling the young soldier that "yes" he can do push ups. Whatever, I think to myself. The young soldier, asks Jake to show him some.  Jake looks at him in confusion. Next thing I know, the soldier is on the floor, showing/instructing Jake on how to do push ups : )  Jake does 1.5 and then stops. The young man told him "you're not done yet, bud"  Jake just shook his head and said "No". We both laughed, and I thanked him profusely for tolerating Jake, and entertaining him. The funny thing is, Jake wasn't afraid or in awe of this young man, he just recognized him as someone he wanted to be pals with.  Thanks Soldier Hooper!!

This is Jake giving a demo of his new push up skill.  As you can see, he hasn't perfected it yet.

3 comments:

Megan said...

OMG, Jake is hilarious! What a good sport that soldier was. When I get back, I may force you to let me babysit that kid. He's so entertaining.

Cori said...

That is the cutest story. What a nice soldier. I wonder if he had kids? Most young guys seem intimidated by too much interaction with the little people.

B-Mom said...

I think that is the neatest thing! I'm glad that Soldier was so good with him. Another reason for us all to look up to them.