Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cheers to Dave Ramsey and Craigslist

I am so grateful that Colby and I have found Dave Ramsey.  He is a saving grace, and truly doing God's work.  Even though Colby and I make great money, we made bad choices on how to use it.  I think that this is a problem nationwide as well.  I now know that "buyer's remorse" is in fact a spiritual scolding.  Proverbs 10:22- "the blessings of the Lord makes one rich, and he adds no sorrow with it".  I love being able to buy things and not feel guilty about them.  If I do feel guilt, I don't buy it.
It sounds crazy, but now that we have set up a budget, we feel like we have more money.  We just didn't know where it was going.  We have more money to put toward our "debt snowball".  In the last 3 months we have paid off a little over $27,000. in Debt!!!! Yes, that includes selling my beloved Odyssey, and buying a less expensive car.  Can you believe it?  It is very exciting!!!  We still have a long way to go, but we have set sail for our goal of complete financial freedom (No debt, including having a paid for home).  One of the ways we are getting money to pay off our debt is to sell items that we no longer need and take up space in our house.  Craigslist has been an amazing place to get it done. Including selling our Van, we have earned $21,005 for our stuff on Craigslist.  $185.00 of that since this past Friday.  We have also used Craigslist to find great deals, for example we spent only $170 on a Glider and Ottoman for Devon's room.  The glider alone sells for $408 at Babies R Us.    Ahhh....I have found a new love for finding great deals and getting OUT of debt instead of diving deeper into it!

2 comments:

Roxie Armstrong said...

You have no idea how proud Dad and I are for for your realizing that and taking action.

Mom

B-Mom said...

You are very strong people for being able to be that disciplined, that's great!! I, too, LOVE Craigslist. We just sold my CRV on there... and I'm a sucker for shopping for some good deals on there myself! Keep up the good work!