Monday, August 4, 2008

Jake's 1st trip to the Urgent Care for Stitches

Friday was supposed to be a fun afternoon with friends at the pool.  However, after only 30 min of playing at the Gardner pool, Jake's fun was cut short.  He was swimming to the base of the playground in the zero entry pool, and when he pulled himself up he started crying.  Like a good mom, I told him "oh your ok, let me see".  Much to my surprise he had blood pouring from his palm.  I held pressure on it and went to the first aid station.  The life guards there wanted to put on a band-aid.  I knew though that since the blood hadn't stopped with the pressure I was putting on it that a band-aid wouldn't cut it.  I told them to let me see what they had and I would just wrap it myself.  I put a very nice pressure dressing on it and wrapped it with Coban (the stuff that looks like ace, but sticks to itself).  We then proceeded to get our stuff together, thanks a ton to Sara and Ali for helping me so we could leave the pool.  Jake was so pissed off that he had to stop playing/swimming. He didn't understand that he couldn't just shake this one off.  After Colby met us at home we headed up to CMH South.  By now Jake is fine, playing in the room, being excited to have a "watch" on his arm (name band), even telling the nurses that he wanted to go back to his "party, with his friends".  It wasn't until they came in to sew up his hand that things changed.  Jake had to be papoosed (placed on a board to keep him from moving, he looked like a mummy) and that was the end of the fun.  He cried for daddy to "help me get out of here" and bucked like a bull the whole time.  It took 2 nurses and me to hold down that one arm/hand/shoulder.  I felt so bad because they to give him shots of lidocaine in the cut because the topical didn't work for him.  Even still there were some areas that you could tell were still not numb when they were putting in the sutures.  Poor guy, he was so upset.  All he wanted was for daddy to hold him (I think he was mad at me for holding down his shoulder) and to go get "doll Woody".  Colby was already going to get him a new "Woody doll" for doing good at pooping in the potty this week, so we used this as an incentive to make it through the sutures (we also took him for ice cream).  So after 3 hours in the Urgent Care, we left with 4 stitches and a very tired little boy.  I have gone through this with Victoria before too, but it always hurts me when they have to go through this, I would take all the pain for them if I could.  Well, like Ali pointed out...Jake is following in daddy "Crash"'s footsteps.  Lets hope he finds another path.

1 comment:

AmyD said...

Oh no! My bet is that Jake is going to want to show off his stitches to everyone tho. This will be much cooler than it is traumatic! ;)

Nice blog, Jo...but I'm not surprised, you're a great storyteller in person too!