Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Gymnastics

Well, most of you know that I was an aspiring Olympic Gymnast when I was younger.  Mary Lou and Nadia were my idols!  No, I didn't have the talent or the perseverance to actually make it very far, but I had fun and learned a lot along the way.  For several years, I spent about 4-5 nights at the gym and during meet season was on the road every weekend.  I love gymnastics, and watch it when I can. It is for this reason that I have good reason to gripe about the judging and results of the Olympics this year.  1st...those Chinese girls are pre-pubescent...they need to wait their turn to go for the gold.  Let the honest girls who put in more hours at the gym, and incurred more injury and/or risk of injury take their turn for glory.  Stupid cheating Chinese...and the IOC doesn't think that Communist China would fake passports to win? Well, I hope that sorts itself out after the games.  2nd  I do like Nastia Liukin, but I think that because we got an American All Around Champion, we overlooked the injustice of poor judging given to Shawn Johnson.  Shawn lost Gold to Nastia by .600 of a point.  Not much folks.  If we look at the events of those nights, Shawn got a less than deserved score on Vault, Bars, and Beam.  Lets say for argument sake that Beam was our only point of contingency.  Shawn has a higher start value for her Beam (the highest in competition) a 7.0 compared to Nastia's 6.6.  Shawn had an awesome event, she really only had a small wobble and took a small step on dismount.  Nostia had several small wobbles and also took a step on dismount.  So how did Shawn get a lower score than Nostia?  Nastia's start value is .400 less than Shawn and she had more mistakes, at least .200 worth if not more.    All this on only 1 event.  If you add up the the missed deductions from the other 2 events, Shawn gets the Gold.  I think that Shawn was targeted because of her Pre-Olympic fame.  I will say that she is a very gracious loser (if you can call Silver losing) she had nothing but a big smile and hug for Nastia, anyone notice Nastia's face when she didn't win the Gold on Beam.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I love gymnastics too! I'm with you on this judging bullshit. I think the judges are being bribed by the Chinese government as well. I had to stop watching for a while cuz I was getting so mad. It's the worst judging I've ever seen at the Olympics. Which team was your fave? I still miss Shannon Miller, Dominique Moceanu, Dominique Dawes and all those girls. I idolized them.