Thursday, August 25, 2011

It really is about the journey

As I mentioned earlier, I am on a weight loss mission. I am done having babies, and I'm not getting any younger so now is the time.  I am learning to run, I like it, I just need to get stronger and faster. I will, I know this. I have learned how to just accept that right now I am doing my best and that is good enough.  I am not just running, I am working out as well. I have read that running by itself is not the best way to loose weight, the stronger you are the more muscle you have to burn more fat. Lets face it people if this is true then I am on my way to being a body builder...I've got a lot of fat to burn. Ok so body builder is extreme, you get my drift.  I do want to run though. I want to run races and get that feeling of accomplishment. I know that running a race is more about the journey there than the 5k, 10k, half or full marathon themselves. I guess I see myself getting stronger, faster, healthier, wiser, and just plain old more confident than I am right now. I see each of those races as stepping stones to the final prize....me looking back at the path that I took to get there. Corney sounding I know, but I see that as a huge prize.
I have recently met someone who is purposely cheating herself out of the journey. I am not sure why, but she misleads people about her actual accomplishments. This bothers the crap out of me! There are various reasons that I know that she is misleading people. The misleading isn't even my problem, my problem is "why can't she love the progress she has really made", "why can't she love herself where she is at right now".  I would love to push the fast forward button on my goals, but the reward wouldn't be as great.  It really is about that journey, the path we choose to take, and how we learn from it.

1 comment:

Cori said...

Yea!!! I love when people discover running. I hope you love it. Maybe someday we can do something together...:)

As for that person....don't give it a second thought. She clearly feels competitive with you, but that is not your problem. You have nothing to prove to her. And you're a BOB, too. Lifetime member. ;)