Friday, December 12, 2008

Mercy and Forgiveness

Mercy:   
compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish.
Forgive: 
Stop feeling angry or resentful toward someone for an offense, flaw, or mistake

Many of you know that Colby and I have been through a lot this year.  My daughter choose to move to her dads in April, under VERY difficult circumstances.  This was extremely hard on us both.  We struggled with our feelings for her and even swore that she would never return to our home to live again.  After Devon was born, we slowly started being around her again.  She was slowly proving to us that she was changing.  This week we had to move things up at light speed.  It seems that old habits die hard for my ex-husband.  Colby and I know without doubt that what she has told us this time is true.  It seems that if it weren't for what I went through in the past, she would not be believable.  Colby and I know in our hearts that we can't let her go back to living like that.  Even though she has brought us much heartbreak and misery, we have been given the courage to grant her both Grace and Forgiveness.  I find myself at a bittersweet crossroads.  I love my husband and never want to put our family at harm.  However, I am happy that what appears to the daughter that I used to know is back.  I know that only time will show us if she has shed the person that inhabited my house for several months last year.  Some of you may find yourself wondering how we could make such a choice.  The answer is easy.  God showed us mercy and forgiveness, because he loves us like a father. He didn't make us prove ourselves first and act later, he did what he needed to do.  After all this is the time of year we are celebrating Gods choice to send his only son, in order for us to be free of the life we were leading. What better example is there to follow?



No comments: