Monday, April 6, 2009

Mommy memories

It is no secret that I have been struggling with raising my kids lately.  It is very mentally/physically stressful.  I am very lucky to have friends and family to help me realize what I have suppressed....Being a mom is the only job that matters.  I am lucky that I have girlfriends who go through the same things, and make me feel sane, and family that love me enough to share what they miss.  My Grandma Hayden (mom's mom) had my mom post a poem as a comment on my last blog...it made me cry.  Tonight, when I put Devon to bed, I stayed a little longer, just to smell him, and kiss his sweet cheeks.  Even though Jake tries my patience, I love that he still loves sitting on my lap in his "rock you" while I read him a book every night.  Victoria, is a little tougher to snuggle with these days, so I will settle for all the girl gossip, and am glad that she keeps me in the loop.

Here is the poem...hope it means as much to you, as it did to me.

Polishing Memories

I have no time to sweep the floor.  The piano collects dust like never before.  The wast basket is full, there are marks on the wall.  The telephone is ringing, can't take any calls.  I'm sitting here rocking my tiny new son, closing my eyes to the days work not done.  I know from experience the future becomes past, these moments are treasures, I want them to last long after he is grown.  I'll sit in this chair and feel the soft touch of his baby fine hair.  I'll rock by this window till the first star appears polishing the memories of my childbearing years.

2 comments:

The one girl said...

That's great, Joleene. And makes me feel better about the dining table full of laundry and the kitchen counters loaded with dishes. But, the kids were read to, prayed with and snuggled before being tucked into bed.

B-Mom said...

This is great. We all struggle with work, keeping the house up and keeping the kids happy. But that is life and I really don't think any of us would trade it for anything.