Sunday, March 1, 2009

Please pray for my friend

A little over 2 years ago, a girl that I was work friends with was diagnosed with Colon Cancer. I haven't seen her much, or at least as often as I should since her diagnosis. I think that this was an intentional thing. Shawndra is a friend that I loved to work with, and enjoyed being around. Colby and I went to her wedding, and we were pregnant at the same time. Hearing that she had been diagnosed with an illness that had a life expectancy of a year or so hit home HARD. I had a very hard time at first, I wanted to have hope for her. Slowly though, I found it easier to not keep up with her. In my mind I guess I thought this would make it all go away. If I wasn't thinking about all the pain her and her family were going through, then it wouldn't be so hard for me. I know this is selfish, but it breaks my heart to think about it.


Shawndra has a blog, (that you all should visit) I read it today for the first time in a month or two. I almost started bawling here at work (and may still before I finish this). I know now, that Shawndra will not survive this. She will never get to be the mom to her 3 year old daughter Ella that I get to be to my kids. She will never watch her daughter get ready for Prom, or help her plan her wedding. She will never meet her grand kids or get to grow old with her husband Doug. She will not get to live the life that she had hopes of. I knew all of this once, but it is finally hitting home. I need to be a better support to her and her family. Even if that is just by reading her blog, and praying for her and her family.


I am so blessed, and I need to be more mindful of the little things that make my life so wonderful...that includes all of you.





I have put a link to Shawndra's blog on mine. Check it out if you have time.

1 comment:

Cathy Reynolds said...

I started reading Shawndra's blog. That was so hard on my heart and I don't even know her...I think it has a lot to do w/the fact that she has a little one and that makes it so sad.