Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Why is bedtime so hard?

Jake used to be very easy to put to bed.  Up until he turned 3 that is.  Now it is like an Olympic sport getting him to bed.  Devon is already asleep, so we try to keep Jake from being too loud (some noise accepted, just not overboard).  Then he NEVER wants to go upstairs, so we fight him on that and sometimes we have to carry him ourselves.  Then is the fight we stopped fighting, PJ tops, he wants to wear the shirt he wore that day.  We get all dressed and it is time for bathroom and brushing teeth.  Colby or I then rock him and read to him.  We tell him that we will leave his door open if he plays quietly...he never does, so we shut his door (he can't open it from the inside, we have the door knob protectors on it.)  Then he bangs on the door and yells  "hey, don't shut my door", " rock me and sing me a song", "I want-----(parent who didn't shut the door that night)".
Bottom line...I always feel like no matter how good of a day we had, it always ends bad.  I get so frustrated with him, then when he does fall asleep, I feel guilty for feeling frustrated.  Go figure, how is bedtime so hard?

3 comments:

BLogger said...

Maybe it is because he loves you two so much he can't bare to spend a minute away from you. :)

Leslie said...

My husband thinks kids need to be spanked before they will go to sleep. It's like a law a physics or something.

B-Mom said...

I'm sorry you guys are having such a rough time, but it will get better.