Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Jake the film maker

Most kids love to play, Jake is no different in that respect. Jake just has a very loyal sense about him and it carries over to his playing.  Most of you know that Jake is a VERY loyal Pixar fan. I believe it was just before his 2nd birthday that he first watched Toy Story, then got his first Buzz and Woody. Cars, the movie followed soon....and they have alternated between the favorite and 2nd favorite ever since.

As result of this love of Pixar and their movies, Jake is interested in how the movies are made. He loves to know how "they created Buzz and Woody", and how to create the movie.  This has translated into Jake "stealing" my iphone and "making movies" or taking my iphone and shooting video. All kinds of video, play video, candid video, and staged video. This used to frustrate the crap out of me, because I would need to use my phone and couldn't find it. The frustration stopped when Victoria and I were watching the video's that Jake had taken. They were pretty great (for a 6 year old at least). I could tell that he really liked making these videos and had a pattern and theme to them. I was impressed, and not too surprised, Jake is a very creative guy (gets it from Colby). The thing I was surprised about was that the videos were not Pixar related. Even though Pixar is top dog, Marvel and its gang is following close behind around here. Jake received a ton of superhero toys for his birthday (as requested). The videos I saw were all Marvel (Theme) and each video had a different super hero.

I decided that Jake needed to see what his video process could turn into. We have an iMac, that has iMovie installed. So, like any good mom would do, I helped him edit his videos into a MOVIE! I clipped together the video in a way that it told the story Jake wanted. Every movie needs a soundtrack, so I added one. The result? A super great movie and what could be the beginning of a great talent/career (I'm crazy I know).  When I showed Jake the movie, he asked "Is it going to be shown on the big screen?", I told him "No, buddy, not this movie". Jake then told me (while shaking his head in determination) "well, I'm going to make movies until they show one on the big screen!!"

I think he'll do it, that is just the type of kid he is.....so without further adieu... Jake's 1st Movie






No comments: