Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Parents should never have to bury their children

A boy that Victoria was friends with was killed last night in a car accident. I don't think they know the specifics yet, but it was on some country roads and I don't think there is a stop sign in either direction. The car was T-boned and he died at the scene. I knew that it had occurred, because my mom called to make sure we were all safe after she heard breaking news.  I even kind of assumed it would involve a teenager, I know that isn't a very kind thing to assume, but I did. We had Back to School night at the High School last night, and even though nothing was said, there were some things that pointed to it being a student. One of the teachers who was supposed to be talking about his class was called away on an emergency. It just so happens that V and Andrew were in the same class. At the end of the night, the Principal announced an emergency staff meeting immediately after the Open House was over.  It is funny how thinking that you know what is going on somehow distances you from the emotions that go with actually knowing what is going on.  When we got home a friend of Victoria called and informed her that in fact it was a friend of theirs, Andrew, who was killed. I feel very bad for the kids and Victoria for what they will be feeling over the next year or longer about this. I feel the most pain, and sorrow for Andrew's parents.  I haven't been able to stop thinking of them, though I have never met them. I haven't the smallest idea what they are going through, and to be honest, I never want to know. I can only imagine how they are able to function. I don't know for sure, but I feel like my heart would stop beating and my lungs stop breathing if I had to deal with anything of the sort. I will pray without ceasing that they are able to hang on to each other and move forward from here. I don't propose to even understand how they can do it, but I know that the more people praying for the same thing, can feel to them, like a rope to hold on to. Parents should never have to bury their children, and the ones that do, I give you all my heart and strength.

1 comment:

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

I had a son that died. My heart goes out to those parents.

ecwrites.blogspot.com