Friday, August 20, 2010

Jake's first day of Pre-K= deceit


Monday was technically Jake's first day but due to his Tonsil and Adenoidectomy, he didn't go until today. He was cleared to go back on Tuesday (their class is MWF) but he was hurting too much for my liking on Wednesday, so I kept him with me.  There has been an issue with him returning though. Open Arms, the preschool/daycare center that he goes to, claimed that he couldn't return with any restrictions, i.e. no physical activity.  This flat out pissed me off, their claim was that they didn't want to be unfair to him to have him sit out.  What? I have sent thousands of patients home with "may return to school, but no physical activity" in my 14 years at CMH. Never has a parent told me that their school thinks that is "unfair".
Monday when we went to drop off his supplies and explain to the teacher he had to leave, we talked to the new director. She was the person who explained to me that if I wanted to pick him up at recess that I could do that. She informed me that their recess time was at the end of the class, so that seemed like a perfect solution. FF to today. I drop Jake off, then ask the teacher if I needed to be here by 10:30 to get him before recess. She looked confused and said "we go to recess at 9:00".  She pointed to the class schedule, and yep, that is when they do recess. I was just about to start to ask if I needed to pick him up for 20 min in the middle of the school day, when another mom saved me.  I am horrible with names sometimes, and I just remember her as Hadley's mom.  Anyway, Hadley's mom told me "I overheard them talking, Mrs Susan has no idea what you are talking about, hurry just go before they notice" it seems the director is the only one who feels this way.  So Devon and I scurried out of the place before anyone was the wiser.  Do I feel bad that Jake is probably going to play when he should still be resting?  Kind of, I do know what to look for when he gets home, but at the same time, he shouldn't have to miss school when he has been cleared by his surgeon since Tuesday.  Besides, I am kind of a "buck the system" kind of gal anyway.

1 comment:

B-Mom said...

Gosh, he looks so big!