Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Olympic Memories

I love the Olympics!  I always have.  I love watching the athletes live out their dreams...corny I know. I love hearing their stories, then watching them win.  Some sports I like more than others, but truly I'll watch them all.
One of the things that I realized this week when watching the games, was that I have great memories that are associated with them.  I guess, they may not all be the greatest story ever told, but memories that are triggered by just seeing those Olympic Rings.

In 1988 the Calgary games closed on my Birthday (they do this year too!!) and I remember watching them in my new Garfield nightgown that my friend Theresa gave me for my birthday....

In the 1994 Lillehammer games,  my college roommate Cori and I got drunk in our dorm room, and watched in outrage as Nancy Kerrigan had her Gold medal stolen from her by a giant pink feathered ostrich also known as Oksauna Baiul.  We even voiced our displeasure in a strongly worded letter to the IOC.....Fortunately we woke up sober the next morning and never sent it.

In the 2002 Salt Lake City games, I remember watching as the 1980 gold medal Hockey team was honored for their 'Miracle on Ice' win over the Soviets. It was the same month as my now husband moved in with Victoria and I.  I remember him asking "if this means we have to watch the Olympics?"  Ummmm, Yes!  He likes, the Olympics, but only wants to watch certain sports. oh, also I colored my hair dark brown that day too.... : )

In the 2006 Torino games, I will always remember how Colby and I had been playing around, having fun being mean to each other...ie snapping each other with towels...etc.  and I sat down to play my DVR'd figure skating when he giggled as he ran upstairs and said....."Sasha Cohn doesn't win......." Arggh, I was mad, yet giggling still.  Of corse when I brought this up to him this week, he conveniently didn't remember doing it....he claims that he would never give away an ending.  Well, he was wrong, he did and it is now one of my Olympic memories.

This year, sadly, I will remember the poor luger who died doing what he loved.  The comercial that made me cry by showing several little kids participating in the Olympic games, then tag lined... "To their moms, they'll always be little kids".I am sure that there will also be some positive memories that come from these 2010 Vancouver games as well....only time will tell.

P.S. I have summer game memories too....but since we are having the winter games, I only listed some of the Winter memories

3 comments:

Cori said...

I wasn't drunk....I was only 19. I was....happy.

On another topic, remember how cool our dorm room was compared to everyone else's? :)

Joleene said...

We had the dorm room to beat all dorm rooms...carpet generously given as a blackmail gift, cinder blocks that we sold plasma to get....we pulled out all the stops.

Oh, we may have only been 19, but I am sure that Bartles and James don't discriminate : )

Cori said...

Ah, our wall to wall carpet....a gift for keeping my mouth shut about my employer's disguisting morals.
And the cinder blocks.....what the hell? If Ava ever wants cinder blocks, I'm just sending her 20 bucks. Why would I sell my plasma? Remember, I almost passed out, and as I'm dying I'm like, "I still get my money, right?!"