Thursday, September 3, 2009

Prereq: B.O.B

Have you ever thought about how someone else would describe you in few words?

Let me explain....Back in high school, I was part of a special gang of girls (yes, gang) called the B.O.B.s. This, OF COURSE, stands for Sassy White Girls (if your a true B.O.B at heart you get it). We B.O.Bs prided ourselves our how sassy and individual we were. We didn't take any crap, you asked for our opinion, you got it (sometimes you didn't even have to ask), we weren't going to let our lives be defined by someone else...girl power to the max. I had rarely thought about that until recently. The last several years, I have been in a place that I felt guilty for my personality, I felt like I needed to be different to be used in any way by God. I felt judged by others, because I don't fit the "Christian Woman" title. (A lot of this, by the way, was fueled by the fact that I work every weekend, and do not go to church because of it.) None the less, I was asked to be a Discussion Group Leader at our MOPS group this year. Of course I said yes, discussion is a form of talking and that is a strength of mine. It wasn't until a couple of weeks after committing to this that I started wondering what I would have to offer. Then, I did a bible study this summer "Slightly Bad Girls of the Bible.", and in this study I came to understand that God uses us to help fulfill his will BECAUSE of the person we are, not in spite of the person we are. Now, back to my question, what do I think others describe me as? Well, if I had to step outside of myself and answer this question, I would say.... "Oh, she is kinda bitchy, but a lot of fun" Now, this is what I would have been mortified to admit just a few months ago. Today, I realize that I filled an open position.... Wanted: "kinda bitchy, but a lot of fun" to help fulfill my will signed: God.

3 comments:

Colby said...

Who knew God was a potty-mouth?

"Gang"....that makes me snicker. Did you guys roll around the 'Dotte with De La Soul blasting from your car speakers, tagging and starting fights with rival 'gangs' in the 'hood?

You must've been a hella intimidating sight to see with the poofy bangs, make-up, and tight-rolled white-washed jeans.

You were street. Color me impressed.

Cori said...

Colby, talking smack about a B.O.B. girl could get you hurt back in the day. Luckily, we mellow with age. :)

I know EXACTLY what you mean, Jo. I never fit the mold of the Christian women that I was exposed to growing up, so I always felt like I was lacking or disappointing God. But lately I have started to realize that God made me just like I am, and to go against my nature, would be doing Him a disservice. Because just like you said, He made me this way to fulfill a purpose. Women of Faith helped me to see that, too. They are the wackiest group of women, and don't at all come across at "holy" or "righteous". They come across as "real". I'm so glad that I have friends that are real, and that love Jesus. Best combination ever!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Okay, I found your blog from Jennifer B.'s and I love it! Your family is too cute.

You're perfect for being a DGL. I'm glad God picked you!