Friday, July 24, 2009

Wanted: Help with Teenage Daughter

How in the heck did we all make it past our teens?  Seriously, I have more stress that is a direct result of Victoria than both boys combined.  We are getting out of debt, but she thinks she should be exempt from this, or at least that we should funnel more money to her than we do. She gets to go almost daily to the pool for an average of 5 hours each day, she spends the night or has someone spend the night at least once a week.  She went to the movies this week, she goes to the lake with friends.  Yet, we don't let her do ANYTHING (according to her).  Currently she is convinced that she will not be able to get a license until 17 1/2 because of new laws.  My friend Cori had her husband debunk this theory, but her friends say it is true, so it must be.  I won't let her ride with her friends driving, because they are so young and well, that is good enough.  I told her that when she has a license she can ride with them too.  I want her to have an understanding of what it takes to drive, so she wont be the obnoxious passenger that encourages bad behavior.  I have been told that one of her friends just got a new Mustang, and several others have cars their parents paid for.  Victoria has been told that we will match her dollar for dollar up to a total of $5000 total for the car she will drive (Not a bad deal if you ask me).  I am so tired of hearing about how awful she has it.  Any suggestions on how to fix or at least minimize this?  

signed,
Going Grey Quickly in Gardner!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Stand your ground...we did the same, dollar matching with our kids. We had strict rules once they got their license too...like only 1 friend in the car. Adam got busted on this, one once. He didn't like being grounded from the car...hasn't happened since. Our kids would complain...how can I get a job when I need a car for work...I took them many times...and occasionally they walked...you'd of thought some one gauge an eye out! They lived...and are better people for it! Good luck!

Cori said...

Dear Gray----You are right to stand your ground. Do you remember how horrible a driver Tab was? (No offense, Tab.) She'd pile 12 of us in the car, and then drive around with her foot hanging out of the driver's side window...no regards for speed limits, stoplights, or traffic signs. Oh yes, because we STOLE those. Oh my gosh, I'm getting a headache just reliving all of this. We could have been badly hurt, you know? Okay, I have to call my parents now and apologize. Later.

Megan said...

Hey! She sounds like me ten year ago.

My parents also said they'd match me dollar for dollar. (I ended up buying my mom's car from her for a low price.) Oh and tell Victoria that most of those kids that were given brand new cars will wreck them in the first year they drive. Almost every one of my friends totaled their pretty new cars, but my crappy car was kept in mint condition until the transmission blew (which was not my fault.) She really will appreciate it more when she has to work for it.