Saturday, April 3, 2010

No dear, those weren't weeds you pulled.....

I love flowers!  I get excited to plant them, to watch them grow, to see how beautiful they are.  I love them.  Last fall, I planted Pink Tulip and Purple Hyacinth bulbs alternating around all three trees in our front yard.  I have been watching them slowly come up this year, knowing that the first year it takes a little longer to bloom, I have been excited to see their progress. 

Today, while at work, I got a call from Colby asking "you didn't plant anything around our trees? did you?" 
 Me- "YES! I planted Tulips, why?".  
I then hear Colby tell my neighbor in a laughing tone...."yeah, she said she planted tulips, they were tulips". Then he says to me "I might have pulled up a few, thinking they were weeds..."  
Me-" WHAT!? are you kidding me?".   
Colby- "No, I will put them back in the ground though, I asked Rachel(neighbor)what she thought it was, and she said she thought it was a tulip".  
I had to go to work, so we continuted our discussion when I came home to see this.....
He pulled the buds of the flower right off...
does this really look like a weed?
The "weed" carnage.

As soon as I came home, I could see the damage...It looked as if he took a weed whacker to them
Me- "How could you have thought they were weeds, you knew I planted them last fall".  
Colby- "I don't remember you planing anything."
Me- "Yes, you do, you were working on the Jeep, and I had to ask you to watch Devon a little while so I could finish planting them." 
Colby-(giggling)"Oh, now that you mention it , I do remember. I was thinking to myself 'why are these weeds in a circle around all the trees' ". 
Me- "Yeah, because I planted them, weeds don't just grow evenly spaced around all trees."  
Colby- "Well, I put them back in the ground, they might not bloom this year though, maybe next year"  Me- "Yeah, I know!"

While I admit that this event is a little humorous, OK quite a bit humorous.  Colby is still in the dog house for a couple of key reasons:
1. He watched me plant those last fall.
2. I pointed out their progress to him on Wednesday evening...to which he replied "yeah, uh-huh".
3. Even though he thought it odd, that "leafy weeds" were growing around all of our trees...he still pulled first and asked later



2 comments:

Carol said...

Colby....go to the store and buy your girl some flowers! Preferably tulips!!!

BLogger said...

Wow, I hope he will remember the tulips for the next lawn care maintance day. I would have been so mad!