Monday, October 5, 2009

How to load the dishwasher...with a toddler

Doing the dishes has now reached a challenge...Devon. For some reason, anytime the dishwasher door opens, Devon makes a bee line for it. He likes to take dishes out of the silverware holder and chew them, he likes to lick the water that is sitting on the dishwasher door, and he likes that he can try to climb up on the door. As you can imagine, this tends to slow down the process of loading and unloading. Here is an example of my challenge this morning.
Me: putting the dirty dishes into the dishwasher
Devon: tries to eat a dirty spoon, knife and tongs all with one grab.
Me: pick Devon up and take him to the dining room (where all his toys are of course)
Devon: looks at me like I am crazy and quickly crawls back to kitchen
Me: sees Devon crawling and runs to dishwasher to continue loading dirty dishes.
Devon: arrives quicker than I thought and gets a cup out.
Me: "Crap" picks Devon back up and runs him into the dining room then runs back.
Devon: "screams" drops to his knees and halls tushy into the kitchen, grabs measuring spoons and laughs.
Me: laughing all the way back to dining room, drops Devon at toys and runs back to kitchen...just 2 more things to place !!!!
Devon: deep belly laughs while again lightning pace crawl back to kitchen. He arrives just as I am loading the last dish and about to put the door up.
Me: "Ah ha! I win!"
Devon: drops to the floor and cries like I just took his best friend.

This makes me sad for a second, then I continue to relish my victory...that was kind of fun.